Wednesday, July 28, 2010

keeping husbands happy vs. keeping wives happy

Shopping at my local bookstore today, I came across an interesting book that I just couldn't resist: "The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage- How to Keep Your Husband Happy and Make Love Last" by Dr. Laura Schlessinger. Years ago I used to listen to Dr. Laura's radio program while driving on my way to various kid practices, and I always enjoyed her common sense advice. This is one reason why the book appealed to me, but not the only reason. Lately, I've taken notice that there are tons of books and articles written about keeping husbands happy, not to mention how often women talk about keeping their husbands happy. I suppose this has always been the case, but lately it's been bugging me. For this reason, I've decided to explore the other side of the question of keeping husbands happy, and that is keeping wives happy.
I am not against keeping husbands happy. I'd like to think I keep my husband happy, and he keeps me happy too. I am a very traditional woman, perhaps more like a housewife of the 50's than of my own generation, but like those June Cleaver 50's housewives, even they have their principles and know the time to speak out! Enough one-sided how to please your husband books please! Are husbands that needy that wives are always having to run to the bookstore to find the latest way to please them? Are men so selfish and high maintenance that all their happiness depends upon the performance of their wife? Are women creating self-centered men by succumbing to fear that they will loose their man if they can't keep them happy? How many men are running to the bookstore looking for books called "Husbands, How to Keep your Wives Happy" or men's magazine articles entitled "Romantic Nights and Becoming the Prince Charming She Thought You Were on Your Wedding Night." How many sermons are preached on a given Sunday on the topic "Husbands Love Your Wives as Christ Loved the Church"? It's very obvious that this is a one sided issue, extremely pertinent to women, but of little significance to men.
I am anxious to start reading my new book, because I am curious to see what Dr. Laura thinks men need from their wives to be happy. I think I can guess fairly well. I wonder if she'll bring up any women's needs even though we already know what we need, but just for the sake that some women might strategically leave the book open at that spot for their man to catch a glance. I also sit here with some cynical thoughts about the whole idea of keeping each other happy, after all is love really about performance? If a husband and wife both are committed to loving the other, won't their words and actions reflect that love? Won't the need for having to be pleased be exchanged for mutual love? I address this to husbands and wives, love each other 100%, not 50/50, not based on performance, not selfishly, but with respect, mutual affection, and commitment to your spouse, with the love of God. Think of something higher and greater than giving and taking in love- giving and taking happens and is a natural part of the way we love, but if it becomes all about that, chances are someone will end up doing all the giving and the other all the taking, so reach higher than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment