Saturday, January 1, 2011

Feeling Good about New Year's

   New Year's is a big deal at my house. The two main reasons- My son's birthday being New Year's Eve and living in Hawaii where I'll just say New Year's is like no other. I love New Year's Eve and New Year's day even though it takes lots of hard work for me to prepare and recover from our celebrations. But in the few moments between the experiences of New Year's, I try to think of all those soul seeking thoughts that I am supposed to. Those thoughts that come to mind are how can I assess the past year and what are the resolutions I need to make for the coming year. In a way, it takes a little bit away from the lightheartedness and fun going on. I am purposely making it serious business. Well this kind of serious business can take a little bit of the fun out of New Year's, but even so, I want to feel good about it all.
   Looking back- for the most part, I count my blessings- looking at the joys I have shared together with my family and friends, considering what I have accomplished, and just being thankful to see another year and the beginning of a new season. I cannot look back on the year, however, without reminiscing some of the more sobering days, thinking of those close to my heart who have passed away, gone away, or those who this past year have met with personal difficulties dealing with loss, health, relationship difficulties, and other kinds of hardship and stress. Sometimes my heart is so heavy for just thinking about these things- who hasn't been affected in some capacity to the harder aspects of life. So, I breathe deeply, close my eyes for a few moments, cross myself and say a prayer in my heart that even I don't know how to pray but feel certain God is hearing at that very moment.
   My thoughts turn to the future. This is my chance. It's a new year and now I have an excuse to make every effort to make a conscientious start to do better and be better than I was last year. What should I change first. It's a challenge. And, whose little nagging voice is whispering into my thoughts that I will fail. I feel defeated before I have even started. But, I know it's good and it's worth a try. I will try. It's New year's Day and I feel good. My faith gives me hope that this mystery of life is good- no matter what has happened or what will come.
My hope is the Father, my refuge the Son, my shelter the Holy Spirit. O Holy Trinity, glory be to Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment